About Me

I was born in Quincy, Illinois. Spent my childhood in many places: Illinois, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas VI, Casper, Wyoming,Scottsdale, Arizona. Married, three children, one Yorkshire Terrier, one Yorkshire TERROR, a very supportive husband, and let's not forget one scary Amazon parrot who shares our lovely home on Chesapeake Bay.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH!

What does it take to write a historical novel? Answer: Lots and lots of research! In a very intriguing twist, Tanglewood Plantation II moves down to the Everglades. I'm drawn to the Everglades and want to draw my readers in, too. But what does it take? For example, during the time of the Civil War and beforehand, many slaves escaped to the swamps of the Everglades, setting up communities next to the Seminole Indians. They were known as 'Black Seminoles. Therefore, it is necessary not only that I learn of the Seminoles and their customs, wars, etc., but I must know the creatures that live and hunt in the swamps of southern Florida. I must know the history of the area in the time period I am writing. I must know the vegetation, the diction, the weather. It's endless what a writer must know in order to write, but what a wonderful learning experience!

Not only do I read my research, but I always experience it, as well. I will travel (as I usually do) to the Everglades, for the feel, the smell, the visual effect it has on me. All of this goes into what I write, a total experience so that I may share the adventure with you, my readers, in technicolor.

No comments:

Total Pageviews