About Me

I was born in Quincy, Illinois. Spent my childhood in many places: Illinois, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas VI, Casper, Wyoming,Scottsdale, Arizona. Married, three children, one Yorkshire Terrier, one Yorkshire TERROR, a very supportive husband, and let's not forget one scary Amazon parrot who shares our lovely home on Chesapeake Bay.

Saturday, October 5, 2013

GEORGIA BACK ROADS STOLE MY HEART!

The back roads of Georgia are an eye-opener.  How wonderful to  travel along a two-lane road witnessing in person the history and  subsequent demise of the old south, the south of my favorite novels of old; Margaret Mitchell's 'Gone with the Wind', Faulkner's endless earthy tales of steamy summers & steamy people. Carson McCullers' 'The Member of the Wedding', to name a few.  I have always been enchanted by stories of the south and now I have driven back roads of Georgia! The cotton fields were abundant; fields and fields of snowy white bursts painted the countryside. Abandoned and deteriorated cabins and boxy country stores--reclaimed by layers of vegetation--created Kinkade photos of the reverse order --- not the cozy Hallmark - sweet - cottages of unreality, but the gritty truth of poor counties, a poor people, a hardscrabble life in the backwoods. The lazy rivers bordered with  ancient trees, their  branches draped gracefully in Spanish moss, are enough to make the coldest heart stop and stare in awe, and friends, this heart (not in the least bit cold) stopped and stared in awe a'plenty.

Ideas...ideas...ideas. They roll  and tumble through my head. I'm sorry to leave the South behind; the back roads, the cotton fields, the ramshackle, foliage covered cabins that once upon a time someone called 'home'. I love it...I remember it.

But now, I must tuck away these beautiful snapshots of Southern Georgia and concentrate on Summer and Captain Ruiz!!! Yes, New Orleans!

No comments:

Total Pageviews